Thursday, October 9, 2008

First Jumps

Took Pandora over a couple fences last night. Nothing big -- very low-key, just hopped on her at the end of my schooling session with McKinna since we were out in the front paddock with fences.

To be honest, hopping over three fences in a relatively small paddock with small rocks here and there in the footing is not the most accurate way to assess a horse's jumping ability!

She was fine, though. Hopped over the first time, kinda dodged out the second but it was my fault for dumping the reins. She jumps smoothly. Really rounds her back as she goes over. Her canter WILL be smooth once she is more fit, but I can definitely tell that she needs some canter fitness.

Pandora has settled in nicely to her day-turnout, night-stall situation. I think she enjoys having her food all to herself in her stall! I am hoping to see some noticeable weight gain by the end of the week.

Not much else to report. Going to do a schooling ride tonight.

1 comment:

wolfandterriers said...

Hey-
I just had a quick thought when you were talking about Pandora's head behind the vertical (yay, something other than biochem!!). I keep Kitten at a Western QH barn. Tiffy-boo is all about the big freakin' bit with draw reins AND a martingale. It has burned my eyes one too many times, so I am there either too early for her (she is not a morning person) or while she is at work. Classical avoidance personality = me. Anyway, if she was ever in the hands of someone that rides Appendix QH in the Western front (or even the English QH side) and has had a third of what Tiffy-boo inflicts on her horses done to her, it's not a surprise that she ducks her head.

I think your approach is spot on--search for the tiniest, itsy bitsiest try and REWARD it!! Re-training is a b****, and is a big part of the reason that I will only take green (i.e. unridden) horses now. Between Sugarcreek and Tiffy-boo, I cringe when I look at horses. You just have no idea what has happened to them in the past.

Archery at school--totally, totally do it. Chances are you will get a compound instead of a recurve, but it's nice to have the familiarity with both. As far as my horse and archery, I'm getting my lightweight recurve back this week since it's my birthday. My pony is having management turnout issues (as I will not turn out a horse with questionable eyesight ability in a barbwire fence...just say no!) and until I get her turnout issue resolved, I'm just going to focus on fussing over her. With our combined ADD, I don't think it's fair for either of us to be absolutely focused in the indoor arena when she's been staying in and I've been cramming 24/7 to get my homework done.

I will try and have some more insight for you up when her turnout schedule stabilizes. It would be so cool to have someone else to trade mounted archery thoughts with...especially as most people just "don't go there." I will say the most entertaining expression I have ever encountered was on the face of a dressage queen when I was working my Paint mare bridleless with my light bow. Beyond funny!