Thursday, October 2, 2008

10/1

Rode Pandora last night. I can feel my ankle getting stronger but I still can't handle much flexion in it -- thus I ride with really long stirrups, which certainly isn't doing any wonders for my leg position. Nevertheless, I can actually feel my right calf muscle when I poke it and I can ride somewhat effectively.

Pandora was quite good. It was our first real schooling ride, lasted about 20 minutes. Her walk is coming along very nicely, she's taking up a light contact without overbending, her poll is at the highest point, etc. She's willing to move off the leg in leg yields but sometimes resists on turns and circles if I'm not paying attention.

At the trot is where we get most of the behind-the-vertical nonsense. I'm very patient with her, because it's incredibly clear that this is what she thinks I want. Therefore, I just keep her moving forward, bend through serpentines and circles, and ride her steadily. I don't think fussing with my hands is going to do much good, so other than pushing my hands forward when she really tucks back, I'm not fiddling with the reins much.

I rode her canter for the first time. She is definitely more fit than when we went to look at her -- that day, she took a lot of convincing (at a very quick trot) to pick up a canter, and it was hard for her to hold it. Last night, she picked up each lead the instant I asked, and didn't seem to have any issues holding the gait. She's got a really nice forward canter, very smooth, which will be nice for jumping. Definitely a sense of power. Will obviously need to work on getting her together, because she's quite strung out, especially to the left. Stiffer to the right as could be expected.

Nonetheless it's great raw material from which to work. She will have a beautiful canter in no time. I love it when they make my job easy!

Will continue with the light schooling rides for awhile as I build up my strength and position. Also need to continue longeing her over cavaletti and possibly start some free jumping.

She's still looking skinnier than I'd like. Nothing too bad, but still needs some more over her ribs and topline. The mares in the pasture are on orchardgrass hay as of last night, so that may help. Don't want to increase her grain until she's in for the night and gets 2 feedings. We're pondering what to do. We could buy a bale of alfalfa and feed her some when she's in for her grain, or add a little oil to the Ultium. I have a feeling that by the end of the month they'll be staying in overnight, and then it won't be such an issue.

She's getting the night off tonight, or I may longe her over cavaletti if we have time.

Schooling show on Sunday (not Saturday, my bad!) so I'm excited for that. I have a feeling she will be pretty looky and possibly do a really good giraffe imitation, but other than that I think she will probably put in a pretty good ride for me. The only way to know is to find out, I suppose!

3 comments:

Leah Fry said...

Take pix!!

ORSunshine said...

Many, I know nothing about Ultium. However, I do know LMF. I've used their Showtime with great success when I've needed to put some weight on a horse without them getting hot. The VTA would become a handful with just a handful of alfalfa, I swear. Not really to plug the LMF products here, just letting you know about my experiences.

I like Showtime because it's rice bran and beet pulp based. Extra calories without extra insanity. I've got Casey (new horse) on it now. I know of a 20 yr old Canadian WB who's doing fantastic on it (and eventing!) and have witnessed wonderful results with some others.

manymisadventures said...

It sounds like Ultium is a pretty similar product. It's beet-pulp based and designed for performance horses.

It worked super well for Bailey, when hotness was a major consideration! We're hoping that, given some time and multiple-times-a-day feedings, it will work as well for Pandora.